Sunday, November 22, 2015

Reviving the Dream


Barnes and Noble, 2007

It was my second or third book signing there.

As I approached the white folding table, stacked with copies of my book, a group of 7-10 squealing girls literally ran up to me. For an instant, panic set in. I jumped, completely caught off guard by the stampede of 10 to 14 year old girls. But they beamed up at me, absolutely enthralled by the book I had written. They loved the characters. They loved the action. They loved the adventures. They asked for more. They asked to have copies signed. They wanted to know when the next book would come out.

This memory has been flooding back into my mind more and more frequently. I recall a mother of one of these young girls who asked me to immediately inform her when book two would be released. She provided me with her e-mail and home address. She wanted to give a copy to her daughter for Christmas.

The feeling of having touched these blossoming young women, with a story I started writing when I was their age, really warmed my heart in a way that is almost impossible to describe.

…and it made the decision to discontinue publication all the harder. (That is a different story.) However, as I am getting closer to completing the trilogy, this image continually drives me to revive my dream. I look forward to begin the publishing process again… although, I admit, it’s not as fun as writing. But I have learned much, and hope to learn much more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment